Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Boredom Post 2: Luck

This is a post I made on the forums in response to someone asking how Luck works:


From what I hear and read, most people think luck works like magic find in Diablo 2. I believe that Luck works similarly to how it did in Hellgate: London, considering Mythos was originally meant to test that game's engine. If someone can prove this assumption wrong, then this info won't be accurate:

- When loot drops, the first thing that is rolled is the number of drops. Then it rolls the quality for each drop, followed by the stats and affixes for the individual items. Each mob/boss/chest has a loot table of base items and affixes it can pick from.

- The ONLY roll that luck affects is the quality of the drops. It won't give more drops, or better stats/affixes. It will not affect whether the item is an armor piece or a health potion. It also has no affect on the quality of gems.

- The game associates every item rarity with a luck number (example below). Luck simply reduces the chance for an item to be Common (white), thereby increasing the chance of a higher rarity.


I have no clue what numbers are actually used in the game (those are definitely much higher than I'm using), so this is just an example:

Each rarity level has a luck "value", which is totaled up:
70 Common (white)
35 Magic (green)
25 Rare (blue)
10 Mutant (purple)
7 Legendary (orange)
3 Unique (yellow)
150 total

Based off the above numbers, a drop has a 47% chance of being Common (white), 23% chance for green, 17% for blue, 7% for purple, 5% for orange, 2% for yellow.

Let's say your toon has a total Luck score of 30. Since luck only affects chance to be Common, the list now looks like this:
40 Common (white)
35 Magic (green)
25 Rare (blue)
10 Mutant (purple)
7 Legendary (orange)
3 Unique (yellow)
120 total

By lowering the chance to be white, you've effectively raised the chance of a drop to be green from 23% to 29%. Blue goes from 17% to 21%, purple from 7% to 9%, orange from 5% to 6%, and yellow from 2% to 3%, rounded up.

Keep in mind that this is how the Hellgate: London luck system works, and I'm only assuming it's the same because Mythos was designed to test that game's engine.



I did test runs earlier in the Beta, and I can conclusively say that Luck has a greater effect than people give it credit. I won't post my gear or full test results, but on average I saw close to 50% less whites drop whilst wearing Luck gear, over 200 runs in the same dungeon.

6 comments:

  1. Joel, I found your blog while browsing the Mythos forums. :) I'll be checking in every once in a while, seems like you know your stuff. I just wanted to say how much I like your theme and how similar it is to my own blog at www.iamscumbag.com :p Anyway keep it up and see you in the game maybe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of the color green; what can I say? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. from my experience - runs in same dungeon
    without luck (0) / with 151 luck:
    2 flawed gems / 4 normal gems
    7 normal ingredients / 14 green ingredients
    no difference in gear drops nor colours
    no difference in gold drops
    no difference in pot drops
    with 151 luck quest items dropped instantly
    also with 151 luck had 1 normal monster dropped 12 items - all rubbish but amount was funny

    ReplyDelete
  4. me again:
    after 3 days running with 151 - 156 luck I found ONE orange item. keep finding one yellow per 10 dungeons cleared. many normal gemstones. lots of ingredients.
    purple/blue items I find are NOT better (stats) than those found with 0 luck.
    156 luck is not enough or luck is simply useless in this game. anyway building up more than 156 luck is near impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What dungeons are you running? Some may have loot tables that aren't based specifically on monster level. I assume you're fairly high level to have that much Luck. To be bluntly honest, I think you have bad luck, or the game just hates you. Orange and purple items drop consistently for my and my dungeon-running friends, and we don't have nearly that much Luck. In my own testing, drops (from every roll, including ones that roll gold or potion) had rolled orange about 1% of the time, purple 3%, and blue 7%. Luck is in the game's code, and it does work.

    As stated, Luck has no affect on properties of drops, amount of gold, or quality of potions. Ingredients have rarities which are affected by Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 156 luck is not enough or luck is simply useless in this game. anyway building up more than 156 luck is near impossible.
    I got an answer for you my friend.
    Crafted armor + Clover Leaf Heraldy.
    Last Clover Leaf gives +57 Luck to each armor slot.
    And how much armor slots we have? 8 = 456 Luck already.
    Plus you got an Accessories which probably have luck and whola you got more luck than you will ever need :<

    ReplyDelete